Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Another Hobby for the Books

When a ward ski night was announced in church I felt like I was the only one in the room that wasn't jumping for joy. Skiing? What's so great about skiing? My winter sport has been picked out for a long time. Figure Skating or die. Well....Megan talked me into going tonight and that's where the laughs began...

The ride up the canyon was fantastic. I took the 45 minute drive to catch up on my much needed beauty sleep and apparently missed a lot of freak outs about being lost or going too far up the canyon. Whoops. Seriously, I was out in 2 minutes.

As soon as we got there we rushed to get our skis on and get on the hill. We stuck to the bunny hill for a good 5 minutes before Megan was pushing us to be big girls. Kalli, Amanda, and I were a bit skeptical about the real hills but hopped onto the lift. I was by far the least experienced in the group but with Megan and Kalli pushing me, I was able to keep up just fine. WHO KNEW? SKIING IS ACTUALLY FUN! CARLY BARTON CAN ACTUALLY SKI!

We didn't get the hang of it as quickly as I'm making it sound. My first time down the mountain was a bit rough. Here's what happened: Kalli and Megan were a ways ahead of me while I was experimenting my pizza, fry, and "s" skills. All of a sudden I see Kalli crash into the trees with one ski flying behind her. She was rolling in seconds. I decided I'd better see if Kalli was okay but my skis had a different idea. Within seconds I was going full speed down the mountain! I was uncontrollably zooming down the mountain completely passing Kalli and Megan. As I picked up speed I realized there was no way of stopping. Behind me I heard Megan screaming "Pizza! Carly, Pizza!" That wasn't happening so I got creative and decided to put my physics knowledge to the test. I zoomed full speed down the mountain and started skiing up the second mountain. I finally stopped screaming half way up the second mountain when I came to a halt in the dark. Megan came to my rescue dying of laughter. What a rush!

The best story of the trip was when Kalli, Nicole, and I tried to get on a ski lift.. The guys working the ski lift would make joked with us every time we saw them but this time we really gave them a run for their money. Kalli and I stood side by side ready to sit down when Nicole accidentally got her ski caught in between Kalli's legs. They went to sit down and ended up on top of each other in my spot. I had nowhere to sit so I tried to get out of the way. Suddenly the ski lift man picked me up and threw me onto the pile. Alarms began going off. Once again I was screaming and trying to hold onto Nicole! Everyone waiting in the ski lift's line was in shock. Before we got too far off the ground the lift stopped and we got situated. The next time we went on the lift the worker just looked at me and said, "We should hug now."

Our night really was successful for the most part. I fell in love with the rush of skiing down a mountain and wasn't too bad at it by the last run. It felt good to get a little farther off campus with my friends and do something different. Skiing will definitely be in my near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment